Newspaper review: Judges to face FG’s wrath again?

Newspaper review: Judges to face FG’s wrath again?

16
0
SHARE

Nigerian Newspapers on Wednesday, October 12, have focused on the arrest, detention and the release of judges by operatives of the Department of State Service (DSS), amongst other top stories.

According to a report on Vanguard, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN, justified the arrest and detention of judges by operatives of the DSS, saying “no one is or should be above the law”.

Newspaper Headlines

Asked about his view on the raid and subsequent arrest of seven superior court Judges, including two Justices of the Supreme Court, Malami said: “Was there an allegation of crime? Was there relevant provision of criminal procedure responsible for investigation?

“Is there an allegation of corruption? If there is, no body, no matter how highly placed will be spared.

“The right to investigate has not been taken away from the constitution. The allegation boarders on criminality and no one is or should be above the law.

“Neither the judiciary or the executive will be exempted from investigation.”

Still on the DSS raid, The Punch reports that Malami, has forwarded the names of more judges to the Department of State Services for investigation.

It was gathered that the names sent by the AGF to the security agency were those of judges whose cases of allegations of misconduct, contained in petitions earlier sent by civil society groups to the National Judicial Council, were allegedly not investigated.

READ ALSO: Chief justice blows hot as NJC holds emergency meeting

Newspaper Headlines

The weekend’s arrest of some judges in different parts of the country followed complaints received by the office of the AGF and thereafter transmitted to law enforcement agencies, including the DSS.

Operatives of the DSS had between Friday and Saturday last week raided the houses of some judicial officers, including two justices of the Supreme Court, and arrested them on suspicion of corruption in Enugu, Gombe, Sokoto and Kano states, as well as the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Fresh report on The Nation has also revealed that detectives found a Rolls Royce in the fleet of about 15 cars of one of the seven judges under investigation by the DSS.

The judge was said to have hired a notable construction firm to build his palatial home and imported furniture from Brazil, Argentina and Spain.

Newspaper Headlines

Another judge told the DSS that he did not know how N18million was paid into his account and he did not get alert to enable him complain to his bankers.

One of the judges also said the money found in his account was his accumulated medical allowances.

Another judge was found to have submitted three assets declaration forms to the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB).

The asset forms of the seven judges, who were arrested last weekend in a controversial sting operation, were being analysed by the DSS yesterday.

Meanwhile, the federal government has foreclosed the return of all the seven judges to the bench, The Guardian reports.

The government believes the judges cannot be in the dock and be adjudicating at the same time.

According to The Sun, the National Assembly has resolved to probe last weekend’s raids and arrests of judges by the Department of State Services (DSS) which generated an uproar among Nigerians.

Both chambers of the federal legislature raised committees to investigate the DSS ‘sting’ operations and report back within six weeks.

READ ALSO: Paper review: Blood flows in Ondo as Oyegun dares Tinubu

Newspaper Headlines

This is even as the National Judicial Council (NJC) which held an emergency meeting yesterday ended inconclusively as it reconvenes today.

In the world of sports, Algeria have sacked coach Milovan Rajevac just over three months after he took charge, Complete Sports reports.

His sack also comes just a month before the North Africans face Nigeria in Uyo on November 12 in the qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Newspaper Headlines

“The Algerian Football Federation have decided to amicably terminate the contract of Milovan Rajevac.”

The Serb, who took Ghana to the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals, only replaced Christian Gourcuff in June.

Algeria drew 1-1 at home to Cameroon on Sunday in the opening round of matches in the final phase of African 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

Assistant coaches Nabil Neghiz and Yazid Mansouri are expected to replace the 62-year-old Rajevac on an interim basis until a successor is appointed.

Catch these stories and many more on the pages of your favourite newspapers today, October 12.



Source : Naij.com

Naij.com

LEAVE A REPLY